Currently, at Ensign, we have three seventh-grade classes and two eighth-grade AVID elective classes. In addition, we have one seventh- and eighth-grade AVID Excel class.
We are committed to supporting all of our AVID students as they transition to intermediate school and challenging them to take rigorous classes. In doing so, we believe our students will be better prepared for the demands of high school and college.
Other than our counselors, teachers, and administrators, our AVID students are also supported by a committed site team made up of:
7th-grade AVID elective teachers:
- Kristina Dorian, AVID teacher
- James Shinto, AVID teacher
- Kate Anderson, AVID teacher
8th-grade AVID elective teachers:
- Joanna Stedman, AVID teacher
- Sarah Tucker, AVID teacher
AVID Excel elective teachers:
- Marjorie Levesque, AVID Excel teacher
- Lynda Hernandez, AVID Excel teacher
- Ashly Reilly
It's 1980 and Mary Catherine Swanson is head of the English department at San Diego's Clairemont High School. San Diego is becoming increasingly diverse. The federal courts issue an order to desegregate the city's schools, bringing large numbers of inner-city students to suburban schools. While applauding the decision, Swanson wonders how these underserved students will survive academically acclaimed Clairemont High.
Her answer is AVID, an academic elective. But, it's more than a program - it's a philosophy. Hold students accountable to the highest standards, provide academic and social support, and they will rise to the challenge.
It's 2019 and policymakers and school administrators now consider AVID an essential strategy for closing the achievement gap and making the college dream accessible to all students.
Beginning with one high school and 32 students, Today, AVID is implemented in more than 6,400 schools in 47 states across the U.S., plus schools Department of Defense Education abroad, Canada, and Australia. AVID impacts nearly 2 million students in grades K–12 and 50 postsecondary institutions.
- February 6 - Chipotle fundraiser
- February 12 - AVID Angel Scholar Applications due (8th graders)
- March 1 - Knott's Berry Farm (optional) field trip - 4-11 PM
- March 6 - Mendocino Farms fundraiser
- March 21 - Chapman and OCC field trip
- March 25-29 - College Week in all classes